Invalid FROM Adresse in notification

Good morning

I notice behavior that seems abnormal to me in my Gitea configuration

In my apop.ini file I have

[mail]
FROM =

If I understood correctly, this tells Gitea to use users’ email addresses as FRom addresses when sending email notifications

But it does not seem to work because when I post a comment in gitea which must send a notification to a user I see in the logs the following error:

2023/06/14 10:54:16 …ces/mailer/mailer.go:378:func1() [E] [6489802e-22] Failed to send emails [xxxx.xxxx@blue2i.fr]: Subject: Re: [app_web/b2idemo] WIP: :sparkles: Test commands in B2ibench (#1), issue comments - gomail: could not send email 1: gomail: invalid address “"Christophe HIRON" <>”: mail: invalid string

So apparently it does not take my email address as the FROM address and the email does not go (I specify that my account is correctly configured with an email address)

If I modify the configuration of Gitea by indicatingand in FROM
FROM = “My Name” myMail@mudomain.com it works but suddenly all notifications are sent with a single address which is not my wish

Did I miss something in the configuration of Gitea?

thank you in advance for your help

It’s by design to use one email address as from.

Good morning

Thank you for your answer but I don’t understand the logic

What I want is for Gitea to use the email address of the connected user to send notifications when the latter reacts to a ticket, for example.

I don’t see the point of using a single from (unless Gitea fills in the Reply To field in the email with the sender’s address?) … but that doesn’t seem to be the case

Email impersonation is messy business. If your Gitea is restricted to a single email domain it is potentially less complicated, but that is not the way Gitea is designed. Gitea, not the user, is sending the email.

Good morning
Thank you for that answer
I understood the problem of using a personalized from according to the user
However, I think it would be a good idea and relatively simple to implement to set up a “reply To” header in the emails depending on who sent the message.