When are repo archives generated?

Like other users I somewhat regularly have repo-archives filling up my entire disk (deleted 900 GB of archives just now). Since I don’t often download my repos as archives, don’t really have any other active users, and don’t think there too many anonymous users on my server either, I would like to know why they are even generated.

Does gitea just zip every commit just in case someone wants it?

1 Like

Gitea creates repo archives when a user downloads a repository as a zip file, not automatically with each commit. Check for frequent downloads or automated processes if your disk is filling up. Review user activity and consider configuring archive cleanup.
I hope you find it helpful.

I’ve configured archive cleanup but it doesn’t do anything. The “Delete all repository archives” in my admin dashboard also doesn’t free up space. I haven’t found time yet to investigate and formulate a post about that.

1 Like

Repository archives in ‘gitea’ are typically generated when you specifically request them, like when you download a zip or tar.gz file from the UI. They are not automatically generated at set intervals.

Hope that helps clarify things

The archives are generated on-demand, and a cron job will periodically run to see if any archives are older than the threshold set for deletion. If your archives are taking up too much space, you can set the cron job to run more frequently and to lower the threshold.

You can also disable archives with: DISABLE_DOWNLOAD_SOURCE_ARCHIVES
The cleanup cron can be found here: Config Cheat Sheet | Gitea Documentation