What's the "right way" to submit a merge commit PR when there are conflicts?

Take the following (naive ascii) graph as an example, where c1…3 are commits, b2…3 are branches:

c1 - c2 (b2, upstream/b2)
 \ 
 c3 (b3, upstream/b3)

Now I want to merge upstream/b2 into upstream/b3 and let’s suppose there are conflicts. If I directly create a PR in the web UI, the PR will abort on merge conflicts (no further actions can be taken), assuming I don’t have write permission to the upstream/b3 branch (which is the whole point of using a PR at the first place). Now if I resolve the merge conflict locally in c4, like this (suppose origin/b4 is a remote branch I can create and write to):

\                      \
 c3 (b3, upstream/b3)   -  c4 (b4, origin/b4)

and then submit a PR to merge origin/b4 into upstream/b3. Then I found that there is NOT a proper “PR merge method” that can simply advance upstream/b3 to origin/b4

• rebase-then-…: doesn’t even work due to conflicts at the rebase step
  • create squash commit: gives a duplicated squash commit without proper merge history links
  • create merge commit: this is the “closest one” that can work, but adds extra ugly merge links that’s not needed, like this:
 \                      \
 c3  -------------------  c4 (b4, origin/b4)
   \                         \
     ------------------------ c5 (upstream/b3, after merging origin/b4 by "create merge commit")

I think there should be a much more direct submission option to simply fast-forward upstream/b3 to origin/b4. This is missing in the current setting.