So many "Ghost" actions after I did push and it did one action from my username

This is gitea bug I think.

Is there anything for me to prevent ghost actions from happening?
I saw 770 ghost actions in one of my repos.

I am running gitea version 1.27.3 on ubuntu under local account.

I also reported this bug at their github repo so many actions from "Ghost" in my repo · Issue #39320 · go-gitea/gitea · GitHub

here is the action code I am using.

name: Build Windows EXE

on:
  push:
  pull_request:
  workflow_dispatch:
  workflow_call: 

permissions: write-all

jobs:
  build:
    runs-on: ubuntu-latest

    steps:
    - name: Checkout
      uses: actions/checkout@v7

    - name: Install MinGW-w64
      run: |
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get install -y gcc-mingw-w64-x86-64 g++-mingw-w64-x86-64

    - name: Install MinGW-w64 32-bit compiler
      run: |
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get install -y gcc-mingw-w64-i686 g++-mingw-w64-i686


    # - name: Set up MinGW x64
      # uses: egor-tensin/setup-mingw@v3
      # with:
        # platform: x64
    
    # - name: Set up MinGW x86
      # uses: egor-tensin/setup-mingw@v3
      # with:
        # platform: x86    

    - name: Build
      run: |
        cd src/~ide
        make clean
        make

    - name: Zipping up Release folders
      run: | 
        zip -r ${{ github.workspace }}/t-clock-release.zip ${{ github.workspace }}/Release


    - name: Upload Release
      uses: softprops/action-gh-release@v2
      with:
        draft: false
        prerelease: false    
        tag_name: ${{ github.run_number }}
        body: ${{ github.event.head_commit.message }}
        files: ${{ github.workspace }}/t-clock-release.zip
      env:
        GITHUB_TOKEN: ${{ github.token }} 


2 Likes

yeah those Ghost authors are usually orphaned user refs on old action runs (deleted user, or the actor id got dropped). the workflow yaml itself wont stop it.

while that github issue cooks, mop-up options:

  • Actions UI → delete the Ghost runs if it lets you
  • avoid force-push / rewrite loops that re-fire hundreds of events
  • only poke the db (action_run rows) if you have a backup and know what youre deleting

permissions: write-all is unrelated to Ghost. track go-gitea/gitea#39320 for the real fix.